Saturday, October 18, 2008

Busy month October!

My adventures in Dallas last weekend included more than just chasing goats on the "ranch" (I don't really want to call it a "ranch", but it also doesn't seem to make sense to claim that there at goats in the "back yard", which is probably closer to the truth). Last Sunday I visited visited the State Fair of Texas, but along the way I also got a good look at the big 5-level stack interchange at I-635 and US-75.

All in all, I have a better feel now for what life is like in the American suburb. It really is very different and, dare I say, very pleasant compared to the high rise condos in Toronto and the medium density row houses in Europe. It's a bit easier to see now why so many Americans prefer their big freeways, low density cities and big suburban houses. I'm not saying it's right... I'm just saying I've lived it for a week.

And now there's just two more weeks until I leave for Taiwan.

2 comments:

  1. You enjoyed the American suburbs? I'm curious as to what it was that you enjoyed about them, because I find suburbs generally rather unpleasant. They combine, for me, the unfortunate aspects of both towns and cities, without the redeeming qualities of either (aside, perhaps, from certain creature comforts like large houses). However, there isn't enough outdoor land to really do anything with it (like hiking), but there is too much to really be able to walk anywhere. There is not enough population density to warrant distributed businesses, but there are enough people that you cannot easily escape to a place by yourself.

    Anyway, those are just my thoughts... I'm curious to hear your response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I agree with you on every point. Suburbs are pretty uncomfortable to live in. Perhaps I used the wrong word, and my pictures didn't show it as well as I would have liked. Check out the aerial image - it's a lot big enough for grazing livestock and/or a full size Frisbee game, backing up onto a vast corn field. Scroll about 300 metres south
    to see your normal suburban 1/4 acre lot for comparison, and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps "suburb" isn't quite the right word for this place.

    ReplyDelete