Thursday, February 5, 2009

Big aspirations

Lately I'm finding that it's getting harder to convey the full range of stuff I want to share on this here blog, so I'm on to creating a new personal website where I don't have to jump through hoops to get the features I want. While I get up to speed with this new project, I probably won't be paying too much attention to this blog anymore. But hang tight - in a couple of months I promise it's going to be good.

In the mean time, some pictures from beautiful Kenting, when I visited about a month ago with my coworkers Alice and Kitty. It's something like the vacation spot for all of Taiwan, a must-see place on a visit to Taiwan.

Kitty leans on the rock next to a sign that says "Danger! Do not approach!" Fierce winds from the Pacific Ocean rush over the cliff edges, making it impossible to stand still unassisted. It's a nice view, at least!


A group of young people ask us to take their picture above the cliffs overlooking the ocean.


It's a bit dangerous to be standing right on the cliff's edge. The powerful wind blowing inland means one must lean into it in order to stand still. He's in for quite a bit of trouble if the wind should suddenly stop or reverse direction.


Numerous plaques like this one line the edge of the cliff, warning people not to approach.


The constant wind has blown sand from the beach below all the way up the cliff and onto the road (far left). We left this spot with fine grains of sand between our teeth.


Lunch at a little shack off the main road.


A man fishes on the coast off the highway. I can't imagine there being many fish this close to shore, but he's probably more interested in relaxing than in catching a meal.


A small bunker stood on the coastal cliff. The gun port overlooks a popular beach and hotel, while the inside is covered with sand and trash.


A view to the south. To the left is the Pacific Ocean, and to the right is the South China Sea. Apparently the large rock to the east is quite a popular attraction, where lots of people pull over to take pictures.


Hundreds of people crowd a cliff-side platform to view the sunset. I had arrived too late to find a spot with a view, but the more interesting subject is how much crowding people were willing to endure for a sight seen daily from any of Taiwan's major cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment