Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Something interesting

The pictures are taking forever to load. Here's one to tide you over. Gothenburg has a very extensive tram system that I'd say is on par with that in Zurich. You can pretty much explore the whole city in a few hours riding these. I think the front looks like a funny face with a little hat, like something right out of Thomas the Tank Engine. The Swedish name for Gothenburg is actually Göteborg. You pronounce "Gothenburg" exactly as it looks, but it's nowhere close to the Swedish pronunciation. Luckily, whenever you speak English to a Swedish person, you're free to just say the English version and there won't be any awkward "what?.... oh! you mean Göteborg!" The bus station in Gothenburg was filled with crazies. One guy accosted me and spoke some pretty broken English about really random topics. "Have you heard of Firefox? It's quite good, yes? What is it, an operating system? No? But it's quite good, yes?". After he left, a Filipino guy sitting next to me gave me a "sorry for the crazies in this city, but I swear it's got nice things too" kind of look. He went on to tell me that Asian men are hot stuff here with the Swedish girls, and that I'll find out for myself at the disco. Somehow I think his information is outdated at best...

No comments:

Post a Comment