Friday, July 4, 2008

Rotten Apple

I'm not one to make rash judgements without basis in fact. At least that's how I'd like to think of myself. But I really don't understand why so many people think Vista is many times worse than Mac OS X. Maybe it's because more people use Vista. Maybe it's because of Apple's shameless ad campaign (seriously, claiming Microsoft Windows is now useless because Microsoft Office runs on Mac is overkill). Maybe it's because few people actually use both operating systems regularly enough to offer a valid comparison. I have both OS's installed on my Macbook Pro. I mainly use Vista, but switch to Mac OS whenever I need video editing, which is a fair chunk of the time. The programs bundled with Mac OS are great - things like GarageBand, Photo Booth and Time Machine. As Apple says, they "just work". Fine. But I have far more frustrating "why the hell did that happen", "who the hell designed this" and "why don't they have this feature" moments in Mac OS than Vista. The finder is terribly difficult to navigate (at least for me) since the views are all so restrictive. There is no "level up" feature, only a back feature. An NTFS drive that shows up on the desktop is nowhere to be seen in the Finder. Instead of ctrl-C, it uses cmd-C, which is terribly awkward to use. These are little things. I can live with them. Half of them are probably just because I'm not used to them. Today, however, arose a problem that was really perplexing (to say the least). While importing some AVCHD video into my scratch disk, I suddenly spotted that the new video clips were overwriting existing files in the folder! I quickly stopped the process but the damage was already done - my timelines are rendered useless. The "clip #300" that used to be a train leaving a station is now a shot in a dark museum (ironically enough, the transit museum). Several files were lost this way, and it'll probably take hours to dig through my archives to transcode and replace them. To avoid the same thing from happening, I decided to put my video clips into separate folders away from where newly ingested videos go. While moving "clip #1" through "clip #121" to an empty folder, I get a message asking me if I really wanted to overwrite "clip #9" with a "new version". I select no, and discovered that "clip #88" remains unmoved. I tried moving it into the new folder, but again Finder prompts me to replace "clip #9". I conducted an experiment. I copied "clip #9" to somewhere safe, and allowed Finder to "overwrite" clip #9 with the "new version" (actually "clip #88"). To my utter and unabated disgust, "clip #9" thereafter disappeared, and "clip #88" sits quietly in the new folder. I restored the "clip #9" copy. Good thing I didn't trust the OS. The same thing happened to 6 other files. Seriously, WTF? How can an operating system claiming to be the world's best make a mistake even DOS couldn't possibly have made? If anyone has a valid explanation, I'd love to be humbled with it. But even if an explanation exists, this is at best terribly unintuitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment