Friday, July 11, 2008

HDR redemption

I took my new GPS logger out for a test yesterday, and it worked perfectly. More on that later. Along the way I also decided to give HDR another try, and here is my favourite result. Detail in color without a wide angle is essentially useless for close subjects, so processing this image involved both HDR merging and tone mapping, followed by a panorama stitching, and then some final touch ups for errors in automatic alignment. To make things more complicated, my camera (definitely not designed to take stunning stills) records mostly false exposure information, so the first step is to actually override the image file with a bitmap copy of itself to erase the (apparently uneditable) EXIF information. This would be much easier with an actual DSLR, but then again, I'm just playing around to alleviate the weeknight boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment